Wednesday, July 15, 2009

family functions

It's easy to get everyone together when you have a family as small as mine, and when most live in a 50-mile radius. Summer brings many occasions for us to do just that: family reunions, graduations, birthdays.

Already this year we had our annual family reunion in Grandma Mae's big front yard. We also celebrated my cousin's high school graduation. I'm looking forward to watching Tia (center) as she blooms and continues her education at Grand Valley State with big sister Kali (right).


The potluck-style dinners at these events represent for me the quintessential rural American meal. I joked with a friend who joined us for Easter dinner that the most important ingredient up here is marshmallows. Fortunately, (or unfortunately), Easter didn't disappoint. There were marshmallows on the baked sweet potatoes, marshmallows in the fruit salad, and even snickers chunks in the apple/grape/cool whip concoction.

What these diabetes-inducing dishes represent for me is twofold. First, it's a reminder of where I come from and how lucky I am to enjoy these traditions with loved ones. Second, the standard diet of meat, carbs, and sugar, while low in fresh produce, is a motivator for me to think about how healthier options could become available to those closest to me. My dad's salad mix is $5 for a half-pound bag. This price is lower than it should be for the work that goes into growing the lettuce, but it's still unaffordable for so many living here. How can we survive on back-breaking work while still providing a product the average northern Michigan resident can purchase?

This is the issue faced by Growing Power, an incredible organization in urban Milwaukee. I recommend their site to learn about the work they're doing to make fresh fruits and veggies part of the culture there.

Other models exist that could be used to strengthen the food accessibility movement in my home and yours. Let's talk about your ideas. In the meantime, enjoy some images showing why I love this place so much, taken at Tia's open house.

No comments:

Post a Comment