Wednesday, June 24, 2009

movie night


Walloon Lake is my favorite. I know I haven’t seen them all, but I don’t need to in order to know. It’s just how love works.

I’m at one of my best friend’s cottages, facing west so we have the best view of the sun setting amongst Walloon’s points and inlets. Before the color in the sky began reflecting off the lake, we escaped the heat by watching Ratatouille. I subconsciously selected a movie about food; this blog must have been on my mind.

Now, if you haven’t seen it, I promise not to give too much away. But here are some of the social/political themes of this cartoon:
• Anyone can cook. Even bourgeois rats.
• Patriarchy exists in the kitchen, (and quite literally in my case).
• Health inspectors are not always good guys.
• Selling out to frozen dinners, especially corn dogs, embodies evil.
• Give credit where it’s due. It makes for a happier ending.

I would say, despite some great messages and animation, the romance story was a bit lacking. With my recent engagement and love in the air, I found myself thinking the writers could have been a bit more creative with that part. However, the knife-wielding female lead was fantastically admirable, for a cartoon character.

Before this, we had dinner by the water.


on the menu:
pizza from the Walloon General Store (made by my lovely Aunt Linda and cousin, Tia)
salad with more BBG radishes
mom’s homemade rhubarb pie with vanilla ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment